Laws concerning the installation and supply of window coverings came into effect on 1 January 2015. While these laws only concern the supply of new window furnishings and are not retrospective, rental property owners have a duty of care to tenants as well as anyone the tenant invites into the property and must ensure the property is safe to live in. Not all existing window furnishings need to be replaced, however, rental property owners are responsible for ensuring that corded window furnishings meet with the mandatory safety standards. (Visit this page for more information)
- Identifying and addressing potential hazards with window furnishings.
- Advising if window furnishings cannot be made to comply with the mandatory safety standards.
- Ensuring that there are no looped cords that allow a loop of 220mm or more to form.
- Ensuring that tie off points are installed for cords that hang at or lower than 1600mm from the floor.
- Installation of cleats and runners as required for compliance (at no additional cost).
- Installation of warning labels or stickers (at no additional cost).
- Providing an information sheet for tenants at the time of service.
- Providing a compliance report, or a report making other recommendations if the property cannot be made to comply.
Blind Cord Compliance Service $88